- Title: Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction
- Author: Dan Margulis
- Released: 2002-09-05
- Pages: 416
- ISBN: 0764536958
- ISBN13: 978-0764536953
- ASIN: 0764536958
From the Back Cover Bring your images to life!
The common-sense, by-the-numbers approach of Professional Photoshop has changed the way professional retouchers, photographers, and artists prepare their files for print. Although many of the corrections are technically difficult, the concepts are logical and can be understood even by color beginners. This extensively revised edition, covering versions through Photoshop 7, continues the tradition of introducing astoundingly effective, previously unknown methods.
Here's what the experts had to say about the best-selling Professional Photoshop 6:
"This is the best guide to color correction there is, period. The information on color correction by the numbers is invaluable for anyone involved with the commercial application of photography and is especially pertinent for digital photography that can be used in print. This is a book that you will want to re-read numerous times."
-Lee Varis, Digital Photography for Graphic Designers
"Dan is the experts' expert on the logical and effective ways to make any image look its best when printed. He has a very likable writing style that integrates metaphors and examples from other disciplines to engage your interest and explain his techniques."
-Jay Nelson, Design Tools Monthly
"The cover would have you believe that this is a book about digital prepress color correction, which is like saying that Leonardo da Vinci was a medical illustrator. Margulis' real agenda is to teach us to look critically at digital images, to understand what we see, and finally how to reason from our understanding toward an image we can take pride in. Best of all, this book is a fun read about a subject that's hardly a great party topic, written with wit, and illustrated with impressive corrections of some profoundly discouraging original images."
-User manual for dPhoto software
In addition to its relentless exploration of curves, this volume teaches:
* The uses of LAB color correction
* How to bring out detail in the most important areas of the image
* Precision control of unsharp masking
* Channel blending to build contrast
* The pivotal role of the black plate
* Blending in Luminosity mode
* Custom profiles to correct hopeless images
* A powerful new overlay blend method that will revolutionize the handling of faces
* Control of all facets of the separation process
* The unwanted color and how to exploit it
* Correcting for factors beyond the photographer's control
Includes a CD-ROM containing many of the images plus extra instructional material! pdf